Section: Debconf (1)
Return to Main Contents
debconf-apt-progress - install packages using debconf to display a progress bar
debconf-apt-progress [--] command [args ...]
debconf-apt-progress --from waypoint --to waypoint [--] command [args ...]
installs packages using debconf to display a
progress bar. The given command
should be any command-line apt frontend;
specifically, it must send progress information to the file descriptor
selected by the "APT::Status-Fd"
configuration option, and must keep the
file descriptors nominated by the "APT::Keep-Fds"
configuration option open
when invoking debconf (directly or indirectly), as those file descriptors
will be used for the debconf passthrough protocol.
The arguments to the command you supply should generally include -y (for
apt-get or aptitude) or similar to avoid the apt frontend prompting
for input. debconf-apt-progress cannot do this itself because the
appropriate argument may differ between apt frontends.
The --start, --stop, --from, and --to options may be used to
create a progress bar with multiple segments for different stages of
installation, provided that the caller is a debconf confmodule. The caller
may also interact with the progress bar itself using the debconf protocol if
it so desires.
debconf locks its config database when it starts up, which makes it
unfortunately inconvenient to have one instance of debconf displaying the
progress bar and another passing through questions from packages being
installed. If you're using a multiple-segment progress bar, you'll need to
eval the output of the --config option before starting the debconf
frontend to work around this. See ``EXAMPLES'' in the EXAMPLES section below.
Print environment variables necessary to start up a progress bar frontend.
Start up a progress bar, running from 0 to 100 by default. Use --from and
--to to use other endpoints.
- --from waypoint
If used with --start, make the progress bar begin at waypoint rather
Otherwise, install packages with their progress bar beginning at this
``waypoint''. Must be used with --to.
- --to waypoint
If used with --start, make the progress bar end at waypoint rather
Otherwise, install packages with their progress bar ending at this
``waypoint''. Must be used with --from.
Stop a running progress bar.
Avoid starting, stopping, or stepping the progress bar. Progress
messages from apt, media change events, and debconf questions will still
be passed through to debconf.
- --dlwaypoint percentage
Specify what percent of the progress bar to use for downloading packages.
The remainder will be used for installing packages. The default is to use
15% for downloading and the remaining 85% for installing.
- --logfile file
Send the normal output from apt to the given file.
Send the normal output from apt to stderr. If you supply neither
--logfile nor --logstderr, the normal output from apt will be
Terminate options. Since you will normally need to give at least the -y
argument to the command being run, you will usually need to use -- to
prevent that being interpreted as an option to debconf-apt-progress
Install the GNOME
desktop and an X window system development environment
within a progress bar:
debconf-apt-progress -- aptitude -y install gnome x-window-system-dev
Install the GNOME, KDE, and XFCE desktops within a single progress bar,
allocating 45% of the progress bar for each of GNOME and KDE and the
remaining 10% for XFCE:
case $1 in
eval "$(debconf-apt-progress --config)"
debconf-apt-progress --from 0 --to 45 -- apt-get -y install gnome
debconf-apt-progress --from 45 --to 90 -- apt-get -y install kde
debconf-apt-progress --from 90 --to 100 -- apt-get -y install xfce4
The exit code of the specified command is returned, unless the user hit the
cancel button on the progress bar. If the cancel button was hit, a value of
30 is returned. To avoid ambiguity, if the command returned 30, a value of
3 will be returned.
Colin Watson <email@example.com
Joey Hess <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- RETURN CODE